This is a virus detection. Viruses are programs that self-replicate recursively, meaning that infected systems spread the virus to other systems, which then propagate the virus further. While many viruses contain a destructive payload, it's quite common for viruses to do nothing more than spread from one system to another.
Indication of Infection
- Presence of unusual TFTP* files
- Presence of the file msblast.exe
in the WINDOWS SYSTEM32 directory
- Error messages about the RPC service failing (causes system to reboot)
- The worm randomly opens 20 sequential TCP ports for listening. This is a constantly revolving range (ie. 2500-2520, 2501-2521, 2502-2522). The purpose of this action is unknown
Methods of Infection
This worm spreads by exploiting a recent vulnerability in Microsoft Windows. The worm scans the local class C subnet, or other random subnets, on port 135. Discovered systems are targeted. Exploit code is sent to those systems, instructing them to download and execute the file MSBLAST.EXE from a remote system via TFTP.
When W32/Lovsan.worm attempts to infect a machine on port 135 it sends a carefully crafted packet designed to cause the buffer overflow. The code execution path after a buffer overflow is specific to files and their locations in memory on a target machine.
Normally that means that an exploit would only target a single OS - for example, Windows XP or Windows 2000, as the location of certain files in memory on each platform is usually slightly different. W32/Lovsan.worm actually semi-randomly tries the Windows 2000 exploit (with 20% probability) and the Windows XP exploit (with 80% probability) in turn - if it "guesses" correctly then it will infect your machine, if it "guesses" incorrectly then it will crash your machine!
The author didn't code anything for Windows NT 4, so therefore it will only crash this platform!
The worm contains a payload to initiate a Denial of Service attack against windowsupdate.com
after August 16. The worm only checks the local system date upon execution. If an infected system is left on and the date rolls over to Aug 16, the payload will not kick off until the system is restarted.
This payload involves sending 40 byte SYN packets to windowsupdate.com on TCP port 80 for the purpose of preventing users from patching their systems via Windows Update. The source IP address is spoofed on each packet, using a random local CLASS B IP.
Computers that have up-to-date antivirus software will detect the worm executable (msblast.exe) upon download and prevent that machine from becoming a host for W32/Lovsan.
However, unless the system has been (MS03-026) patched, it is susceptible to the buffer overflow attack from an infected host machine. An infected machine (running msblast.exe) will send out malformed packets across the local subnet to the RPC service running on port 135. When these packets are received by any unpatched system, it will create a buffer overflow and crash the RPC service on that system. All this can occur without the worm actually being on the machine. This means that the remote shell will still get created on TCP port 4444, and the system may unexpectedly crash upon receiving malformed exploit code.
Other symptoms may include:
- inability to cut/paste
- inability to move icons
- Add/Remove Programs list empty
- dll errors in most Microsoft Office programs
- generally slow, or unresponsive system performance
By applying the MS03-026 patch to the machine, it will prevent the RPC service from failing, in-turn solving these symptoms. It is very important that the machine is rebooted after the patch has been installed.
The machine can then be updated to the latest dats/engine/config and an on-demand scan run to pick up msblast.exe, IF it exists. All of these symptoms are related to the RPC vulnerability and not necessarily due to W32/Lovsan running locally. Msblast.exe may not be present at all.
Lovesan, Lovsan.H (F-Secure), msblast.exe, tftp, W32.Blaster.Worm (Symantec), W32/Blaster.worm.a, W32/Blaster.worm.gen, W32/Blaster.worm.k, W32/Lovsan.worm , W32/Lovsan.worm.gen , Win32.Poza (CA), Worm/Lovsan.G (Central Command), WORM_MSBLAST.A (Trend), WORM_MSBLAST.H (Trend)