This is a virus detection. Viruses are programs that self-replicate recursively, meaning that infected systems spread the virus to other systems, which then propagate the virus further. While many viruses contain a destructive payload, it's quite common for viruses to do nothing more than spread from one system to another.
Indication of Infection
Existence of the following files on the local system:
Modifications of the system registry and/or WIN.INI file as mentioned below. Modification of the MIRC.INI file as mentioned below.
Methods of Infection
If this Internet worm is run intentionally or accidentally, the following changes will occur to the local system:
* copy itself to the following locations
* modify the registry in the following locations in order to load at Windows startup
ScanRegistry = [windows]\winsys.vbs
Run = [windows\system]\winsys.vbs"
RunServices = [temp]\winsys.vbs
WinLoad = [windows\system]\sexpic.jpg.vbs
* modifies the WIN.INI file to load the Internet worm at Windows startup
load = [windows\system]\kernel.vbs
run = [windows]\winsck.vbs
* modifies the SYSTEM.INI file to load the Internet worm at Windows startup
shell = Explorer.exe explorer.vbs
* modifies MIRC.INI to send "sexpic.jpg.vbs" when connecting to IRC channels
* checks the system date - if the day is either the 10th, 20th or 30th, activates email send routine to forward itself to everyone in the address book using the format mentioned in the 'Characteristics' section